Ogbono soup is a Nigerian dish made with ground ogbono seeds, with considerable local variation. Besides the seeds, water, and oil, it typically contains leaf vegetables, other vegetables, seasonings, and meat.
Below is how to prepare this dish
– 1kg assorted meats (oxtail, tripe Pomo &bush meat)
– 450g ground Ogbono seed
– 225g ground crayfish- 25g ground pepper
– 25g iru- 1 medium onion
– 290ml palm oil 3pt stock or water
a)Wash the assorted meats thoroughly and place in a pot.
b) Add the sliced onions, galic, ground chilies and some stock or water. Cooked for 30 minutes
c)Add the washed smoked fish and stockfish, cooked a further 10-15 minutes adding a drop of water or stock as needed to stop it from burning.
d) In another pot, heat the oil and fry the ground seeds for 3 minutes to bring out the nutty flavour.
e) Gradually add the stock and whisk until it draw and bubbles.
f) Add the cooked meats peppers and crayfish.
g) Dissolve the locust bean in a little stock and add to the soup. Allow to simmer for another 10 minutes, check seasoning and serve hot with pounded yam.
1. Ogbono soup with bitter leaf 225g; wash the bitter leaf add to the main recipes.
2. Ogbono soup with ugwu 500g; shred ugwu leaves add to the main recipe.
3. Ogbono soup with igbo 225g; wash the igbo leaves add to the main recipe.
4. Ogbono soup with water leaf 500g; was the waterleaf add it to the main recipe.